Some days just feel worse than others.
Perhaps your boss is more anal than usual or your parents are redefining crazy with their antics.
Perhaps your significant other isn’t giving you head(s) up on their change in schedule.
Perhaps, it’s one of those God forbid Mondays in 50 shades of blue.
Days like these, you would need copious amounts of coffee and booze to help tide you over.
The so aptly named Tiramisu – Italian for ‘pick me up’ is the perfect remedy.
The ingredients are a little pricey, I will give you that. If you can, buy them in bulk.
Nothing wrong with having 1kg of Mascarpone cheese in your fridge, my friends. Nothing.
Most bakeries or high end grocery stores will carry the lady fingers or Savoiardy.
You can use any booze you fancy. Dark rum, Madeira wine, Kahlua or Irish Cream.
On a totally unrelated note, my brother and I once made (a few) B-52 cockatail sans the flaming Grand Marnier part.
This is why I ran out of Irish Cream so soon.
And if you happen to have some Vietnamese drip coffee courtesy of a dear dear friend, please take the extra moment to drip some.
Now this is the perfect time to add some booze into your coffee mixture.
No, there are no measurements.
It’s Monday, for God’s sake.
Beats any ol’ espresso.
Whip your cream to soft peaks. Add booze.
Add some sugar to your cheese mixture. Add vanilla. Add booze.
It’s a pretty simple idea to grasp.
Now build alternating layers of cheese/cream mixture and coffee soaked fingers. I should’ve done a process shot.
But I drank too much of the booze-laced espresso.
Dust the top with cocoa and let it rest for 30 minutes to an hour.
You can alternatively build this in a 9 by 9 pan.
But then you will have to share, as opposed to having a tall glass all to your good self.
I assure you, this would rid of any Monday blues.
Makes a 9 by 9 inch or 6 big wine glasses worth of Tiramisu
500g Mascarpone cheese, softened
1 1/2 cup (400ml) of whipping cream, cold
1/3 cup of icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups of espresso/really strong coffee
However much booze you like
30 lady fingers
Cocoa powder for dusting
1. Prepare your coffee mixture. You can sweeten it slightly if prefered.
2. Whip your cold cream to soft peaks with 1/2 of sugar, alcohol and 1 tsp of vanilla essence. Set aside in fridge until you are ready to use to prevent from deflating.
3. Cream together cheese, remaining sugar, vanilla and alcohol. Add in half of whipped cream to lighten mixture and gently fold in the rest.
4. Prepare your tray/wine glasses for assembly.
5. Soak fingers in espresso/booze mixture and lay it at the bottom of your vessel. Pour on your cream/cheese mixture and spread evenly. Dust with cocoa powder.
6. Repeat as many times as necessary, ending with the cream/cheese mixture.
7. Dust with cocoa and let it set in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
8. Serve it on those bad bad days.
Have a good Monday!