It’s an Asian thing.
But with my overachieving self, I am also terribly lazy. So when it comes to cooking, I would look for something impressive and at the same time easy, brainless and quick.
And this recipe is exactly that. It has a fancy name, and prep time only takes 10 minutes tops. It’s fool proof.
All you need is an oven and the ability to pretend that you’ve slaved at it for hours.
Salmon fillets, skin and bones removed (I used belly for its higher fat content)
Store bought puff pastry (pre rolled ones are more expensive, do it yourself!)
1 – 2 tbsp Dijon or wholegrain mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Roll out your puff pastry relatively thin, big enough to wrap the salmon fillets in a parcel. Don’t make too many folds or it won’t cook.
2. Season fillets with salt and pepper on both sides. Place on rolled out pastry. Squeeze a little lemon juice over the surface of each fillet (This helps cook the fish slightly)
3. Spread mustard on the surface (be generous, this flavors the fish)
4. Fold the seams in and place each parcel seam-side down on a baking sheet.
5. Butter the tops of each parcel, season with salt and pepper.
6. Bake at 200C for 15-20 minutes – keep an eye on it so it won’t burn.
7. Serve with blanched vegetables and pan roasted potatoes.
8. Brace yourself for praises.